Bone conduction headphones with FM radio are a type of audio device that uses bone conduction technology to transmit sound through the bones in the skull, bypassing the eardrums.
These headphones often feature built-in FM radio capabilities, allowing users to tune into their favorite radio stations while maintaining situational awareness, as the design doesn’t obstruct the ears.
They are ideal for outdoor activities, sports, and situations where users need to be aware of their surroundings while enjoying music, podcasts, or radio broadcasts.
*** TABLE OF CONTENTS ***
Why Bone Conduction Headphones with FM Radio
Bone conduction headphones with FM radio are an innovative solution that combines cutting-edge technology with a timeless feature.
These headphones use bone conduction technology to transmit audio through the bones in your skull, allowing you to listen to music, podcasts, or FM radio without obstructing your ears.
In this guide, we’ll explore how bone conduction technology works, the benefits of using bone conduction headphones, and why FM radio still matters in today’s world.
How Bone Conduction Technology Works
Bone conduction technology transmits sound waves through vibrations that are sent directly to your inner ear via your skull’s bones.
This bypasses the eardrum, meaning you can still hear ambient sounds while listening to your favorite tunes.
Bone conduction headphones are particularly useful for people with hearing impairments, as they can provide an alternative to traditional headphones.
Benefits of Bone Conduction Headphones
There are several benefits to using bone conduction headphones, including:
- Enhanced situational awareness: Since your ears are unobstructed, you can hear ambient noises, making them ideal for outdoor activities like jogging or cycling.
- Improved comfort: No earbuds or over-ear cups mean less pressure on your ears and no risk of ear infections.
- Hearing aid compatibility: Bone conduction headphones can be used by people with hearing aids, providing an alternative listening solution.
FM Radio: An Old-School Feature with Modern Appeal
Despite the proliferation of streaming services and digital music, FM radio remains a popular and enduring medium that continues to attract listeners from all generations.
Radio Statistics: A Snapshot of Radio’s Resilience
Here are some highlights of radio listening statistics that illustrate the enduring appeal of this medium:
- Widespread Reach: More Americans listen to the radio each week than use Facebook. 
- Youth Appeal: 55% of Gen Z in the U.S. listen to AM/FM radio every day. 
- Time Investment: Adults listen to an average of 104 minutes of radio per day, or 12.2 hours per week. 
- Growth Through Technology: The radio industry has seen growth through smart speakers and online listening, with 100 million Americans owning a smart speaker. 
- Trust in Advertising: Radio holds the highest share of collective trust across all advertising channels. 
- Influencer Impact: 77% of listeners would try a brand or product endorsed by their favorite radio personality. 
- Ad Effectiveness: It takes an average of 2.4 days for audio ad listeners to take action. 
- Ad Spending: Global radio ad spend is a $36.1 billion a year market. 
- Ad Costs: The average cost of a radio ad in the largest U.S. cities is $513.40. 
- Listener Attitudes: 47% of listeners believe radio ads are a fair trade for their listening time. 
Why FM Radio Matters in Today’s World
Despite the prevalence of digital audio streaming services, FM radio remains relevant for several reasons:
- Local news and information: FM radio provides access to local news, weather, and emergency alerts that streaming services may not cover.
- No internet required: With FM radio, you don’t need an internet connection, making it ideal for outdoor activities or in areas with limited connectivity.
- Free content: Unlike many streaming services, FM radio is free to access and doesn’t require a subscription.
How FM Radio Works
FM radio uses frequency modulation to transmit audio signals through radio waves.
Your bone conduction headphones with FM radio will have a built-in receiver that picks up these signals and converts them into sound.
Combining Bone Conduction Headphones and FM Radio: A Modern Twist
By integrating FM radio functionality into bone conduction headphones, users can enjoy the benefits of this timeless medium while experiencing the advantages of modern technology.
Bone conduction headphones with FM radio provide a versatile and convenient listening experience, allowing users to tune into their favorite stations while maintaining situational awareness, making them perfect for outdoor activities, commuting, and various other situations.
Advantages of Integrating FM Radio
By incorporating FM radio into bone conduction headphones, users can enjoy the best of both worlds. Some advantages include:
- Hands-free listening: No need to carry a separate radio device or fumble with your smartphone while on the go.
- Versatility: Switch between your favorite FM radio stations and other audio sources like Bluetooth or an integrated MP3 player.
Popular Brands and Models of Bone Conduction Headphones with FM Radio
Below are some popular brands and models of bone conduction headphones with FM radio, featuring options for various activities and preferences.
Model: Tayogo WB02 – Bone Conduction Headphones Swimming
Features: Tayogo 8GB Bluetooth IPX8 Waterproof Mp3 Player with FM Radio, Underwater Headsets for Diving, Running, Cycling
Colors: Black & Yellow
This model is perfect for active individuals who enjoy water sports.
It features an IPX8 waterproof design and built-in FM radio, making it an ideal companion for swimming, diving, and other water-based activities.
The 8GB storage capacity allows you to store your favorite music, podcasts, or audiobooks, while the Bluetooth functionality enables wireless connectivity.
Model: Tayogo WB01 – Bone Conduction Headphones Swimming
Features: Tayogo IPX8 8GB Waterproof Mp3 Player, Underwater Headsets for Swimming, Running, Cycling
Colors: Black & Yellow
Similar to the Tayogo WB02, the WB01 model is designed for active users who engage in water sports.
This model does not include Bluetooth functionality, making it more suitable for those who prefer a straightforward, dedicated FM radio and MP3 player.
Its IPX8 waterproof rating and 8GB storage capacity make it an excellent choice for swimming, running, and cycling enthusiasts.
Model: VocalSkull Beyond 5 Bone Conduction FM Headphones Grey
Features: FM radio, built-in Bluetooth and microphone, high-performance battery, comfortable fit, lightweight design
The VocalSkull Beyond 5 Bone Conduction FM Headphones are designed for those who want a versatile listening experience.
With built-in FM radio functionality, users can enjoy their favorite radio stations without needing an additional device.
The headphones also feature Bluetooth 4.2 CSR technology, supporting HiFi stereo music and providing an exceptional acoustic experience.
The built-in microphone allows for hands-free phone calls, making it perfect for on-the-go users.
With a lightweight and flexible design, these headphones offer all-day comfort, and the 250mAh lithium battery provides up to 8 hours of music playback or 12 days of standby time on a single charge.
Its IPX6 waterproof rating makes it a good choice for most outdoor sporting activities.
Here’s a comparison table for Bone Conduction Headphones with FM Radio
A side-by-side comparison of various bone conduction headphones with FM radio models.
When choosing the right bone conduction headphones with FM radio, consider your preferences and activities.
Brands like Tayogo offer various models, catering to different needs and budgets.
Consider factors such as waterproof ratings, Bluetooth functionality, and storage capacity to find the perfect pair for your lifestyle.
Bone Conduction Headphones with FM Radio: A Comprehensive Buying Guide
Selecting the Perfect Bone Conduction Headphones with FM Radio
When choosing bone conduction headphones with FM radio, there are several factors to consider to ensure you make the right decision.
In this guide, we will discuss the essential factors to consider, along with some practical examples and scenarios.
Sound quality is a crucial factor when selecting bone conduction headphones.
Look for headphones that offer clear and balanced audio output, ensuring you can enjoy your FM radio stations and other audio sources without sacrificing audio quality.
Example: VocalSkull Beyond 5 is known for delivering good sound quality while maintaining a reasonable price point.
Longer battery life ensures that you can enjoy uninterrupted listening during outdoor activities or long commutes.
It’s essential to choose headphones that have a battery life that suits your needs.
Scenario: If you enjoy going on long hikes or bike rides, you’ll want headphones with a battery life of at least 6-8 hours to keep your favorite FM radio stations playing throughout your adventure.
Comfort and Fit
Comfort is paramount when it comes to headphones, especially if you plan to wear them for extended periods.
Opt for headphones that have a comfortable fit and adjustable design to ensure they stay securely in place during various activities.
Example: Tayogo Wb01 is a popular bone conduction headphone model that offers an ergonomic design for a comfortable fit.
Durability and Water Resistance
Your headphones should be able to withstand daily wear and tear and any outdoor activities you engage in.
Check if the headphones are water-resistant or waterproof, making them suitable for use during workouts or in light rain.
Scenario: If you’re a fitness enthusiast who frequently exercises outdoors, consider bone conduction headphones with a water-resistant design, like the Tayogo WB02.
Price Range and Value
Bone conduction headphones with FM radio can range from $50 to over $150. It’s essential to find the right balance between price and the features that matter most to you.
Example: If you’re on a tight budget, consider the VocalSkull Beyond 5, which offers a combination of sound quality, comfort, and affordability.
Some bone conduction headphones come with extra features like built-in MP3 players, Bluetooth connectivity, or noise-cancellation.
Assess which features align with your priorities and usage scenarios.
Scenario: If you want the option to switch between FM radio and your smartphone’s music library, look for bone conduction headphones with Bluetooth connectivity, like the Tayogo WB02.
By considering factors like sound quality, battery life, comfort, and additional features, you can make an informed decision when selecting the right bone conduction headphones with FM radio to suit your needs and preferences.
Alternatives to Bone Conduction Headphones with FM Radio: Pros and Cons
Noise Reduction Radio Headphones
Example: 3M WorkTunes Wired Connect Hearing Protector with AM/FM Tuner
- Noise Reduction: These headphones offer effective noise reduction in loud environments, such as construction sites and workshops.
- Safety: By protecting your ears from high-decibel sounds, they help to prevent hearing damage.
- AM/FM Tuner: The built-in AM/FM tuner allows you to enjoy radio stations while working.
- Limited Awareness: Noise reduction headphones block ambient sounds, which may limit situational awareness.
- Bulky Design: These headphones can be bulky and less comfortable for extended wear.
Bluetooth Headphones with AM or FM Tuners
Example: PowerLocus Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones with built-in FM radio
- Wireless Connectivity: These headphones allow you to connect to your devices via Bluetooth, offering a wire-free listening experience.
- FM Radio: The integrated FM radio tuner lets you enjoy your favorite radio stations.
- Comfort: Over-ear headphones typically provide a comfortable fit for extended periods.
- Reduced Situational Awareness: Over-ear headphones can limit your ability to hear ambient noises, which may affect safety in certain situations.
- Battery Life: These headphones often have a shorter battery life compared to bone conduction headphones.
Regular AM/FM Radio Headphones
Example: YUFFUN Personal FM Radio Headphones
- Affordability: Regular AM/FM radio headphones are often more affordable than bone conduction headphones with FM radio.
- Portability: These headphones are lightweight and easy to carry around.
- Easy to Use: Regular radio headphones typically have straightforward controls for tuning and volume adjustment.
- Limited Awareness: Traditional headphones can obstruct your ears, limiting situational awareness.
- Compatibility: They may not be compatible with other audio sources like Bluetooth or MP3 players.
In summary, while bone conduction headphones with FM radio offer unique advantages, there are alternative options available depending on your preferences and requirements.
Consider the pros and cons of noise reduction radio headphones, Bluetooth headphones with AM or FM tuners, and regular AM/FM radio headphones to determine which option best suits your needs.
Comparison of Bone Conduction Headphones with FM Radio with Regular Headphones with FM Radio
Bone conduction headphones with FM radio offer unique advantages compared to other types of radio headphones, such as enhanced situational awareness, comfort, and versatility.
In the following table, we compare bone conduction headphones with FM radio to noise reduction radio headphones, Bluetooth headphones with AM or FM tuners, and regular AM/FM radio headphones.
Table Comparing Bone Conduction Headphones with FM Radio to Regular Headphones with FM Radio
When comparing the different types of radio headphones, it’s essential to consider your needs and preferences.
Bone conduction headphones with FM radio offer advantages like high situational awareness, comfort, and versatility, making them a great choice for many users.
However, if noise reduction, Bluetooth connectivity, or affordability are higher priorities, one of the other types of radio headphones may be a better fit.
Taking Care of Your Bone Conduction Headphones
To keep your bone conduction headphones in good working order, follow these maintenance tips:
- Keep them clean: Wipe down your headphones regularly with a damp cloth to remove sweat and dirt.
- Store them properly: When not in use, store your headphones in a protective case to prevent damage.
- Charge as needed: Don’t let the battery drain completely, and avoid overcharging.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
If you encounter issues with your bone conduction headphones, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Check the connection: Ensure your headphones are properly connected to your device or FM radio signal.
- Reset your headphones: Turn them off and back on to resolve minor technical issues.
- Consult the user manual: Refer to the manual for specific guidance on resolving common issues.
You can also check out our other Comprehensive Guides;
- Bone Conduction Headphone Types
- Bone Conduction Headphone Features
- Swimming Bone Conduction Headphones
- Sports Bone Conduction Headphones
- Communications Bone Conduction Headphones
Can I use bone conduction headphones with FM radio while exercising?
Yes, bone conduction headphones with FM radio are perfect for exercise.
They offer a secure fit, allow you to listen to your favorite radio stations, and maintain situational awareness, making them a safe and enjoyable option for various physical activities.
Are bone conduction headphones with FM radio waterproof?
Some bone conduction headphones with FM radio are designed to be waterproof, such as Tayogo’s WB02 model, making them suitable for swimming and other water-based activities.
Always check the product specifications for the specific model you’re interested in to ensure it meets your requirements.
Can I connect my bone conduction headphones with FM radio to other devices?
Many bone conduction headphones with FM radio also include Bluetooth functionality, allowing you to connect them to your smartphone or other Bluetooth-enabled devices for additional audio options.
Will bone conduction headphones with FM radio interfere with my hearing aids?
Bone conduction headphones bypass the outer and middle ear, directly stimulating the inner ear.
This makes them a viable option for some individuals with hearing impairments.
However, it’s essential to consult with your audiologist to determine if bone conduction headphones are suitable for your specific situation.
How long does the battery last on bone conduction headphones with FM radio?
Battery life varies between models, but on average, bone conduction headphones with FM radio can last between 6 to 12 hours on a single charge.
Always check the product specifications for information on battery life and charging times.
Here is a video comparing the Tayogo Wb02 Fm Headphone to the Xtrainerz by Triathlon Theory Channel.
Bone conduction headphones with FM radio offer a unique listening experience, combining cutting-edge technology with a timeless feature.
By understanding how bone conduction technology works and why FM radio remains relevant, you can make an informed decision when choosing the right headphones for your needs.
Remember to consider factors like sound quality, battery life, and comfort when making your selection, and take proper care of your headphones to ensure their longevity.
- “Bone conduction headphones: Gimmick or godsend?” by SoundGuys. 
- “Whats the easiest way to listening radio with Bluetooth headphones” by Culturasonora.es. 
- “How does FM Radio Works on Smartphones? Why does it need Headphones” by Xiaomiui.net. 
- “15 Best AM/FM Radio Headphones In 2023” by AudioReputation. 
- “Radio Statistics in 2023 (Listening & Advertising)” by Musical Pursuits. 
- “Audio and Podcasting Fact Sheet” by Pew Research Center. 
- “Radio’s Roadmap To Gen Z Listenership” by Edison Research. 
- “Audio Receptivity” by Katz Radio Group. 
- “Staying PUT: Consumers Forced Indoors During Crisis Spend More Time On Media.” by Nielsen. 
- “Inside the Power of Local Radio Personalities.” by Katz Radio Group. 
- “Traditional Radio.” by Statista. 
- “Radio – Streaming – Podcast – Measurement.” by Nielsen. 
- “U.S. Radio Industry – Statistics & Facts.” by Statista. 
- “Radio: Live on Air and Everywhere.” by NPR, Edison Research.